Autumn is my favorite season and while we still have another month of summer, sweater weather can’t get here soon enough. It may not be fall outside, but in the kitchen, I’m going to partake the season as early as I can.
With that in mind, I’ve started experimenting with apples in my lactation recipes. My “How Ya’ Like Them Apple Muffins” are so delicious that they might actually put the brownies to shame. Like the last two recipes, these have brewer’s yeast and flaxseed in them, so if you’re not making milk, skip those ingredients. Or don’t – contrary to the fears of my hubby, brewer’s yeast alone isn’t going to make someone lactate. 😂💕
This recipe makes 12 muffins within 15 minutes of prep and another 25 minutes of baking. Light and moist, they’re perfect for breakfast on the run or snacks throughout the day to keep your energy up! They’re a tasty treat for the busy and health-conscious mama, but I swear everyone else in your house will be salivating over these, too.
I know you’re busy and, like the rest of us, you might not get to all of this in one sitting. So, just like the last recipe, I broke it down into shopping list, appliances, ingredient prep, and recipe so you can make these at your leisure. Breastfeeding and parenting is hard enough without making cooking/baking a dreaded chore!
* Apples (2 large apples)
* Almond milk (3/4 cup) *You could use cow milk if you prefer. I just stay away from as much dairy as possible.
* Eggs (2)
* Vanilla Extract (2 tsp)
* Agave or Maple Syrup (1/3 cup)
* Cinnamon (2 tsp)
* Nutmeg (1 tsp)
* Salt (1/2 tsp)
* Old Fashioned Oats (3 cups)
* Baking Soda (1 tsp)
* Brewer’s yeast (3 tbsp)
* Flaxseed meal (2 tbsp)
* Chocolate Chips (1/2 cup)
* Coconut oil
* Muffin tin
* Cooling rack
* Peel, core, and chop two apples. When chopped, the apples should measure out between 1 1/2 to 2 cups.
* Grease muffin tin with coconut oil and set aside.
* Preheat oven to 350*.
* In the mixer, whisk the 3/4c almond milk, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup agave/maple syrup, and 2 tsp vanilla.
* In a separate bowl, combine the 3c oats, 2tsp cinnamon, 1tsp nutmeg, 1tsp baking soda, 1/2tsp salt, 3tbsp brewer’s yeast, and 2tbsp flaxseed meal.
* Add the dry mix to the whisked milk.
* Fold in the two chopped apples and 1/2c dark chocolate chips.
* If you’re using a 12-slotted tin, each tin will take about 1/3c of batter.
* Bake for 25 minutes, immediately place on cooling rack, and enjoy!
Next up: Petite Apple Pies to keep your milk flowing and your baby growing!